Tuesday 4 January 2011

Horlick Steam Cake


This is one of my top favourite cakes in the past few months, as it is pretty easy to make and of course is yummy to have.

Horlick cake is by far the only steam cake I've made, the texture is more moist than those we baked in the oven.  As I do not have Kaya jam in hand so I always use Strawberry jam instead.


Horlicks Steam Cake

Ingredients :
250g Butter (room temperature)
120g Castor Sugar
5 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla extract
70g Horlick
130g Plain flour sift in with 1 tsp Baking Powder
120g Condensed Milk mix with 50g Pandan Kaya (or Strawberry jam), keep aside.

Method :
1. Get ready a steamer filled with enough water and preheat at medium high fire .
2. Line and grease a 8 inch round pan
3. Cream butter and sugar at high speed till light and fluffy (about 3 or 4 mins)
4. Add in one egg at a time and continue to cream till well blended
5. At low speed add in Vanilla extract and blend well
6. Still at low speed add in the condensed milk mixture and blend till mixture smooth
7. Stop the machine and fold in the Horlick and sifted flour , stir with a spatula till well blended and smooth
8. Spoon the batter into cake pan and cover the top loosely with a piece of aluminium foil
9. Steam at medium high fire for 50 till 60 mins
10. Cook cake on wire rack before cut into pieces and serve

I've got this recipe from ladyvanillakitchen

Tips:
* As I often start the baking just after a few minutes decision, so the butter always not in the ready room temperature.  What I would do is to get the butter microwaved for 10-20 seconds and leave it aside so the butter would  then be softened and ready to be creamed with the sugar.

* I always crack the eggs into a bowl beforehand so that when I cream the butter and sugar, I will still able to add the eggs one by one without any help or to stop the mixer.

* Since Horlick is a malty drink so I've tried with another cheaper brand of malty drink for replacement. But, the malty fragrance is not as strong and as nice as the Horlick.  So I will say keep to Horlick.



2 comments:

  1. This reminds me a great times to enjoy horlick cake in Borneo. Love it, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you love it, I think it can be even better if you can replace it with Kaya :)

      Delete